The Carmelite Friars came to Faversham in 1926 and in doing so refounded the English Province of the Order. What was a small struggling mission in East Ken is now a vigorous parish community and also devotion to St Jude has lead to the establishing of a shrine honouring that saint and drawing pilgrims from far and wide.
Faversham itself is an ancient market town on the road from London to Dover, just a few miles before the traveller reaches Canterbury. In the Middle Ages Faversham was part of the Cinque Ports Confederation.
The Church and the National Shrine of St Jude are to be found in Tanners Street, on the north west side of the town. Next to the Church is a fine 18th century house now known as "Whitefriars", the home today of the Carmelites who care for the parish and shrine. The house is the oldest building on the site. It is a fine Georgian house built about 1740, on the steep slope that drops from the level of Tanners Street down to the banks of the West Brook, on which also stand the Shrine Office buildings, and a garden that includes the Rosary Way and the Car Park.